My small travel makeup kit.

Young Beautiful Woman Face Portrait Girl Closeup

Traveling is fun, you see new places try other foods and hopefully manage to not catch an airport cold, but tying to manage a huge piece of luggage filled with things you do not need and probably will not use will cause stress, back strain and extra crap to sort out once you get back home #notfun. I myself used to be a big packer and it has taken me a while to downsize to an amount of makeup that is practical for an array of different looks while taking up as little space as possible. This is a list of what I pack and what works for me, that may help you fight the over packing bug. It is important to remember what works for me may not work for you, so you do you!

1. Make up bag.

IMG_1604

Choosing the right makeup bag is my number one tip when you are trying to pack less makeup, this bag does not need to be fancy or expensive, heck it can be a plastic baggie for all I care, the important thing is the size of the bag. Pick a reasonably small bag and limit yourself to that space, whatever doesn’t fit doesn’t go. I actually use a pencil bag for my travel makeup bag, if it can fit the length of a pencil it can probably fit a makeup brush without bending the bristles (a massive annoyance for me) quite easily as well as not being too short for eye or lip pencils. Also it has a neat little storage compartment on the one side to easily store brushes.

2. BB cream.

Image 13-02-2018 at 14.42

When I am on holiday I am usually not in the mood (aka too lazy) to do full glam makeup so that high coverage foundation is staying at home! BB creams are easy, simple and my favourite one has a SPF of 30 making it a two in one product. If you need a little more coverage just fling in your favourite concealer and you are good to go.

3. Brow gel.

Image 13-02-2018 at 14.43

Brow gel is sooooo easy to use, super small and takes almost no time to apply and is still able to really help pull a look together or just make your brows look neat when you are rocking a bare face. A must in my opinion.

4. Compact eyeshadow palette.

Image 13-02-2018 at 14.42 (2)

Sometimes when I am feeling inspired I will do a quick smoky eye so a small palate of neutral colours are a fun addition to my makeup bag but to be honest eyeshadow is probably the step I am most likely to skip when I am on holiday. Is it hundred percent necessary? No. Will I consider not packing at least one or two eyeshadows? HELL NO!

5. Eyeliner.

Image 13-02-2018 at 14.42 (1)

Whether you are a gel, liquid or pencil kinda person a eyeliner can help draw attention to your eyes and if you are feeling extra playful. If you decide to forego the eyeshadow (or not!) you can even through in your favourite eyeliner with a hint of plumb or gold to complement your eyes colour and make you feel like a million bucks.

6. Mascara.

Image 13-02-2018 at 14.43 (1)

No makeup bag is complete without mascara in my opinion and personally I feel naked without it. Mascara is amazing, put it in your baggie. Nuff said.

7. Highlighter.

Image 13-02-2018 at 14.43 (2)

When you maybe have one too many cocktails and you feel wilted and tired a bit of highlighter will make you look healthy and glowy while you get your brunch on. I personally like to pack a small tube of cream highlighter because it is light and small and I can use my fingers or foundation brush to blend it in so that I do not have to pack an extra blush.

6. Blush.

Image 13-02-2018 at 14.43 (3)

Blush is not everyone’s cup of tea, after years in the makeup industry I have realised that most people choose to forgo this step, and that is fine makeup should be about what YOU like. I like me some blush though, and for traveling I like to pack a cream blush that can work for both cheeks and a natural lipstick. I love a two in one product. . . except when it comes to shampoo.

7. Lip products.

Image 13-02-2018 at 14.43 (4)

Here is where us makeup enthusiasts tend to go a little nuts I’ve noticed and guuuurl I have the same problem. I try to limit myself to two lip product, not including a lip balm, in my travel makeup bag. My first product is the lipstick and blush combo I discussed in number 8 and the second is my trusty red that I won’t go anywhere without. Hey we all have our own answer to the security blanket.

8. Brushes.

Image 13-02-2018 at 14.43 (5)

The brushes you pack are completely dependent on the other products that you decided to pack. If you have many different brushes and you don’t even know where to start making up your travel collection you can read my brush starter kit blog post here for inspiration.

IMG_1608

What products do you pack in your travel makeup kit? Let me know in the comment section down below.

Safe travels.

xx

Contact me:

justmadeupmakeup@gmail.com

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of these products, all opinions are my own.

Advertisements

1 thought on “My small travel makeup kit.”